Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Circus '76 Mail Order Catalog + Gallery of Clown Prints

While antique malling in Florida last week, I found the exact same Ringling Brothers and Barnum Bailey Circus program from 1976 that I once had a kid! It was the "Spectacular Bicentennial Edition" with an unforgettable glittery cover and special insert of 4 great clown prints of Lou Jacobs, Mark Anthony, Prince Paul and Peggy Williams (see below.) What I had totally forgotten about from the program though was the mail order catalog insert also included. If I could turn back time, there would be no doubt about the purchase of any of those great vinyl inflatables on the first page, or the hand puppets, Monkey Band tee shirt, and/or pretty much any of the magnets or pennants listed on the last page. Time to frame up those clown prints ASAP, since I'm the only person on the planet anymore that doesn't pretend to be afraid of clowns --yep, I'm still harping on that one!












6 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

Suitable for framing, eh? Well, if I ever frame up sexy Mae West Ronald McDonald, you'd probably want to check the crawlspace for my victims ...

Mr. Karswell said...

You'll fit nicely in my crawl space, Brian...

Mr. Cavin said...

Wow, I'd love to have a complete set of each and every one a those circus posters in scan three. I never really went in for the expensive program books and posters when I was a kid (mores the pity--as an adult that's exactly the stuff I wish I'd gotten). Even though I went to this circus every year, I was far more likely to get spinning flashlight contraptions, novelty hats, and giant snacks. I don't still have any of that stuff, either.

I'd totally dig owning those ringer tees, too.

Crafty C said...

I seriously love the vinyl blow up toys and the coin purses!!

And you can count me as one of those folks that "pretends" to be afraid of clowns. Some of them anyway. And annoyed with most of the rest. Except for the genuinely cute ones that look like they're really smiling and not pulling a fake smile with dead eyes.

Take that, harpy!!

Mr. Karswell said...

*changes blog name to The Harpies of it All

Mr. Karswell said...

forgot to mention that the seller of this circus program had doubles if anyone is interested... link below, Jewel Antique Mall in Belleair Bluffs (Clearwater) FL:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jewel-antique-mall-inc-clearwater